Friday, May 29, 2009

salt lake 18th ward chapel

(Photo by post author 29 May 2009)

Salt Lake 18th Ward Chapel, now White Memorial Chapel
Original address: 107 North 'A' Street, now 128 East 300 North

12 Jun 1880 - Ground broken for building
2 Aug 1881 - Death of architect Obed Taylor
27 Jul 1882 - First religious services
5 Jan 1902 - First services after remodel addition
1973 - Building dismantled
1979 - Building reconstructed on Capitol Hill

The Eighteenth Ward used Brigham Young's schoolhouse to meet in until the chapel was built (Richard W Jackson, Places of Worship, page 97) Once built, this chapel was initially inside of the walled property of Brigham Young's estate as shown in this image. Some remnants of the wall can still be seen in a parking lot on 1st Avenue, east of State Street, adjacent to and part of the Brigham Young Historic Park. This drawing shows a perspective of both the Church and wall.

The Eighteenth Ward in Salt Lake City represents one of the large meetinghouses of this period.
This is a large Gothic Revival-style meetinghouse that was designed by architect Obed Taylor. Construction was started in 1880 and completed in 1882. Due to crowded and inadequate conditions, even with additions to the chapel made in 1901, the building was scheduled for demolition in the early 1970s. It was carefully disassembled and moved, without the 1901 addition, stone by stone, and reconstructed on a new site opposite the state capitol building in Salt Lake City, Utah, where it functions as a nondenominational chapel for public use. I have selected this building not only because it is a fine example but because it is still standing, albeit on a different site. Many like it were built along the Mormon Corridor and on into Idaho. Of the few that are still standing, some have had their high towers removed and frequently have been so remodeled and covered with additions as to be hardly recognizable. (Richard W Jackson, Places of Worship, page 106-107)

The Salt Lake Eighteenth Ward Meetinghouse (1881) is an early Gothic Revival, central-tower design. The structure, which originally stood at Second Avenue and A Street, was relocated in 1973 to a site just south of the state capitol. Obed Taylor, the architect, used attenuated proportions, wall buttresses, pointed arches, and engaged tower to create a Gothic design. The use of crenelations on the front gable, but not on the rear, suggests a certain naiveté for the time in which it was built. (C. Mark Hamilton, Nineteenth-century Mormon architecture and city planning, page 87) Note that the crenelation appears to have been removed during the 1902 renovation/addition.

The Meetinghouse, 1870-1890
Gothic elements began to appear in meetinghouse designs during this period. The traditional meetinghouse began to assume a more specialized role, taking on the appearance of conventional or contemporary Protestant chapels in Gothic style. The axial plan was extended, the pitch of the roof increased, pointed arch, tracery windows, wall buttresses, and towers were added. These new meetinghouses were more stylistically sophisticated than their earlier vernacular equivalents.

The appearance of the new stylistic elements is attributable to a number of things. The infusion of well-trained builder-architects did much to change the picture of Mormon architecture. Obed Taylor, for example, was instrumental in introducing Gothic Revival / Victorian Gothic forms to Utah; his design for the Assembly Hall on Temple Square was a pivotal monument. (C. Mark Hamilton, Nineteenth-century Mormon architecture and city planning, page 85)

(Elevation by Richard W Jackson, Places of Worship, page 106)

Death of Obed Taylor, Esq., Architect
We regret to announce to our readers the death of Brother Obed Taylor, the talented architect of this city. He died at his residence in this city at one o'clock p.m., to-day. He was undoubtedly one of the most able men in his line of business that ever drew plans for a building in this city. He was a native of Canada, but joined the Church in San Francisco, where he was baptized by the late Apostle Parley P. Pratt in early days. He was a quiet, unassuming man, kind and generous in soul, and active in the accomplishment of good. Few were acquainted with him, owing to his natural reticence, but by those who were, he was as much beloved for the nobility of his character, as he was admired for his eminent ability. Among the monuments of his architectural genius, is the beautiful design of the Salt Lake Assembly Hall. Of his private deeds of benevolence and charity, the world will never know the half. His death is a great loss to the community which, in common with his host of friends, we unite in deeply deploring. The funeral will be held at the late residence of the deceased, 18th Ward, to-morrow (Sunday) at 4 p.m. Friends of the family are invited to attend. (Deseret News 2 Aug 1881)

The Late Mr. Obed Taylor - Funeral Services
As an architect he long since demonstrated his superior ability, end in this respect, in his death, the community at large suffer a severe loss. The Salt Lake Assembly Hall is a sample of his skill in that line, and although Obed has been summoned from our midst, that structure alone will always keep his name in the fond remembrance of this people. He has designed and completed many beautiful buildings in this city, and some are now in course of erection, the drawings of which have only recently left his office. Amongst these may be mentioned the New Deseret University and the New Opera House, both of which buildings, now in course of erection, will still further testify to the ability of the deceased, and as public buildings will be ornaments to the city, which, as he said in the outstart, he had come to help build up. (Deseret News 2 Aug 1881)

The Eighteenth Ward Chapel
A Handsome and Creditable Structure Nearly Completed
With the exception of a few trifling details, the interior of the Eighteenth Ward Latter-day Saints’ Chapel is finished, and the first religious services will be held in it to-morrow evening, beginning at half-past six. President Joseph F. Smith will preach the discourse on the occasion.

The body of the building is brick, and the foundation granite, and is semi-gothic in style, after a design by the late Obed Taylor. It has sixteen abutments and the height of the tower, from the ground to the summit of the spire is 76 feet. The site is “beautiful for situation,” rendering it an attractive point for the eye to rest upon from any part of the city.

The body of the interior is 50 x 80 feet, and 18 feet 6 inches high to the square, with the ceiling rising till it reaches the middle, where it is 23 feet 6 inches from the floor. The ceiling is thrown into squares by beams, which are neatly grained in imitation oak, while the interiors of the squares are elegantly paneled in delicate, subdued water-color tints, the walls being plain, and of a tint which has an appropriate blending with those of the ceiling.

In the east end of the building the gallery is situated, in the rear part of which is a recess formed by the interior of the tower, at the opening of which is an elliptic arch, nicely grained in imitation of sienna marble, as are also the two pillars supporting the gallery.

The stand is large, occupying the whole width of the hall, and is ornamented with a handsome breastwork, with banister extensions on each side. The top is tastefully upholstered with deep crimson plush, and the floor of the platform appropriately carpeted; Besides seats of the usual style, half a dozen large chairs occupy the space. The north end of the stand is arranged for occupation by the organ and choir, of which Brother H.G. Whitney is the capable conductor.

The chapel is lighted by twelve large windows. The whole of the woodwork, including the wainscoting, which protects the lower part of the walls, is grained in imitation of oak, of a deep rich tint. The seats, which are set off with ornamental arms at the ends, are in plain paint for the present, but it is the intention to have them grained at some future time, and the aisle running up the center of the hall, is covered with matting.

Besides the main body of the interior there is a vestibule, 8 x 7 ft. being the interior square of the tower.

There are a number of conveniences about the building that would take too much space to name. The surroundings are not completed, such as fencing and other details.

The brickwork was done by W. Tuddenham, the foundation by John Worthen, the woodwork by Acting Bishop R. Patrick; the plastering, by James Coult; the painting, by W.C. Morris, and the calcimining, by R. Simpson. All of the work has been well and faithfully done, and the construction as a whole has been under the direct superintendency of Brother Patrick from its beginning, to whose untiring exertions its existence is more due than to anybody else’s.

The Saints of the Ward have contributed liberally, toward the erection of the building, and now they have a house not surpassed in beauty or solidity by any in Utah of similar size. Besides the general contributions, the Sisters of the Relief Society were at the expense of the upholstery adornment of the stand.

When completed, the entire structure will cost in the neighborhood of $6,500.
Ground was broken for the building on the 12th of June, 1880. The building committee appointed were: Robert Patrick, W.B. Barton, Thos. Latimer (deceased), Feramorz Young (deceased), E.R. Snow Smith, Thomas W. Jennings, N. Twiss Young. (Deseret News 26 Jul 1882)

Handsome New Chapel (1902 renovation)
Eighteenth Ward Hold New Year’s Meetings in Enlarged Building
The improvements to the Eighteenth ward chapel, which have been going forward for the past seven months, have now been completed, and meetings will be resumed in the chapel tomorrow; the first session will be the regular fast meeting at 2 o’clock, and in the evening the conjoint session of the two Improvement associations will occur.

The enlarged chapel, which is now one of the largest ward meeting houses in the city, has been improved at a cost between $8,000 and $9,000, and its seating capacity has been increased to 650. The building is now in the form of a cross, an ante-room, and the lavatories being built on the north side. It contains 70 electric lights, and is heated by steam. The entire work of remodeling the building and raising the funds was placed in the hands of a special committee of twelve with the ward bishopric at its head. The active work of construction and the supervision has been in the hands of the chairman of the building committee, Robert Patrick, Sr., his assistants being John T. Caine and John Nicholson. The architect employed was David C. Dart.

The building was lighted up on Friday evening and all who beheld it were profuse in their expressions of praise over its handsome appearance. (Deseret News 4 Jan 1902)

Demolition and Removal Schedule:
The site shall be completely cleared of all buildings, walls, fences, trees, pavements etc. all as noted on the drawings and as specified. However the owner intends to continue use of the Existing chapel, Whitney hall and existing house #6, therefore the construction of this project shall be in two phases as follows: construct the new ward and stake building and at the completion of this part of the project the existing Chapel, Whitney hall and house #6 and adjoining other items shall be demolished and the parking area etc. shall be constructed. (Site Plan Sheet A-1 ‘As-Built’ Drawing dated 17 Sep 1973 William F Thomas, Architect)

(Existing site drawing by post author. Information obtained from Site Plan Sheet A-1 'As-Built' Drawing dated 17 Sep 1973 William F Thomas, Architect, PFD As-Built Catalog)

The Site plan above shows locations of six existing homes, two existing garages, the 18th Ward Chapel and Whitney Hall. Also shown are walls, fences, sidewalks, and trees. The original rectangular chapel size is indicated with hatching. Later expansion and connection to the Whitney Hall account for the larger size. Below is a current image of the site. All of these structures were demolished to make room for new meetinghouse. Fortunately the original Chapel was preserved and moved to a new location.

(Aerial image of site from Google Maps 2009)

Eighteenth and North Eighteenth Ward Building (1972)
Built in 1972, this stake-sized building is also similar to a Freeman (FR 68-010) standard plan in room arrangement except it is larger. It is also provided with a lower level at the rear of the building due to the slope of the land. Parking is on the south side of the building and also across the street. William F. Thomas was the architect. Its location is on the north half of the block where the pioneer-built Eighteenth Ward building and the adjacent Whitney Hall were built. This old meetinghouse is the one that was demolished carefully and rebuilt as nearly as possible in its original form across from the Utah state capitol building. (Richard W Jackson, Places of Worship, page 350-351)

Work to begin soon on chapel restoration (1979)
Photo – Old 18th Ward building served early leaders.
Caption – Beautiful and stately 18th Ward chapel will rise again at location across the street from Utah State Capitol.

Reconstruction of one of Salt Lake City’s earliest ward buildings – the historic 18th Ward chapel – will begin in a few weeks, according to Steven T. Baird, architect. “We’re wrestling with a few problems such as bids being higher than we expected,” he said. “Then we’ll get started.”

The building, which would be 98 years old this year, once served the families of early Church leaders including President Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, his counselor, and Presiding Bishop Newel K. Whitney. All three men had died, however, before the chapel was constructed – President Young, only four years earlier.

Brother Baird said the chapel’s new location will be on state-owned property at East Capitol Street and Third North. The original site was at Second Avenue and A Street. The structure was dismantled six years ago to make room for the new Salt Lake Ensign Stake Center and combined 18th and North 18th Ward chapel. A singles ward also meets in the building.

The architect said the reconstructed chapel will appear smaller than some people think it should be since they will remember it with attached cultural hall and classrooms. Its original size was only 34 by 64 feet and included a balcony. The rostrum was in the opposite end.

Ovid Taylor, pioneer architect, designed the original chapel, but it is not known who supervised its construction. The same architect also designed the old Coalville Tabernacle and the Assembly Hall on Temple Square.

Brother Baird directed dismantling operations in 1963. [actually 1973] He and his crew code-numbered each handmade brick and every other part for easy reconstruction later. He does not anticipate any problems restoring the structure to its original state and expects it will take about seven months to do the job.

“The building will have one feature not found in the original – a lower level. The new space will be divided between a multi-purpose room where meetings can be held – and a library on important Utah pioneers. Restrooms will also be located on this floor, the architect said.

(You can see the entry to the new lower level beneath the back door as described above. Photo by post author 29 May 2009)

The tower and pews from the old building were saved along with other items and they will be put into their proper places as the reconstructed building goes up. Not available is the original organ. However, another one from the same time period has been acquired.

The 1975 Utah Legislature authorized placement of the chapel at the new site. When the project is completed, the building will be donated to the state for non-sectarian uses.

Brother Baird, who specializes in restoration work, said cost of the project will be about $300,000 of which $240,000 has already been donated by M. Kenneth White and his wife, Ada Marie. They are members of the Grandview 1st Ward, Salt Lake Wilford Stake.

“The Whites have no connection with the old 18th Ward, they just felt this was a good project,” the architect said. The Community Memorial Chapel Foundation is raising the remainder.

The architect said his firm has handled a number of other restoration projects including the Promised Valley Playhouse, the Capitol Theater and the ZCMI façade, all in Salt Lake City. The firm has also restored homes in Nauvoo, Ill.

He said he has a special feeling for the pioneer buildings still in existence around Utah. “I know it’s impossible to save everything, but we must save some of them to preserve our heritage.” (Deseret News 12 May 1979)

Utah State Historical Society Images
Image of Chapel - picture taken after the addition. Note that there are no crenelations at the front roof gable. These must have been removed during the 1902 renovation. They were later added after reconstruction on Capitol Hill.
Image of Chapel adjacent to Whitney Hall
Interior of chapel showing balcony and stairwell
Image of stairwell leading to the balcony

Street view of current site

View Larger Map

Thursday, May 28, 2009

newhouse’s new business district

Samuel Newhouse (1853-1930) was born on 14 October 1853 in New York City. In 1896 he moved to Utah and became one of the wealthiest of Utah's mining magnates. At his peak, he occupied four residences: a home at 175 East South Temple in Salt Lake City which he renovated as a colonial style mansion in about 1905; an estate on Long Island; a chateau outside Paris, France; and a mansion in London, England.

(Samuel Newhouse - 17 Apr 1909 - Salt Lake Herald)

“Newhouse liked living in Salt Lake City, although his wife preferred living outside of Utah. In 1907 he launched a significant building program design, in Salt Lake City. Its purpose was to shift the city's center from the Temple Square area to Exchange Place between 300 and 400 South streets and between Main and State streets, about four blocks south. In 1907 construction began on the Boston and the Newhouse buildings, the city's first skyscrapers. Just east of the two buildings, Newhouse donated land for construction of the Salt Lake Stock Exchange and Commercial Club buildings. Exchange Place was to be a little ‘Wall Street’ with a grand hotel, the Newhouse Hotel, and would be constructed between 1909 and 1915 across Main Street on the southwest corner of Main and 400 South. Newhouse was also involved in the development of the exclusive residential area of Federal Heights in the northeast section of Salt Lake City.” (Biography at University of Utah Marriott Library Special Collections)

“Newhouse turned his attention toward the development of urban real estate, and erected the Newhouse Hotel, Boston Buildings, and some 30 other important business structures in Salt Lake City. He also conceived and built the famous Flatiron Building in New York City.” (Leonard J Arrington and Gary B Hansen, The Richest Hole on Earth; A History of the Bingham Copper Mine, p. 28) The Flatiron building was built on a triangle-shaped site and has become an icon in NYC. It was the world’s first steel frame skyscraper, and the Boston and Newhouse buildings built in 1909 would be Salt Lake’s first skyscrapers.

“Silver paid for the buildings that comprise the Exchange Place Historic District at the south end of Main Street near Fourth South, all of which were built around 1910 by non-Mormon mining men, in particular Samuel Newhouse, in an effort to construct a gentile commercial district at the south end of the central business district to counterbalance the concentration of Mormon establishments at the north end of the city.” (Silver in the Beehive State by John S. McCormick, Beehive History 16)

To develop and design this new business district, Newhouse hired famous Chicago/New York architect Henry Ives Cobb.

(Henry Ives Cobb - 11 Dec 1906 – Salt Lake Herald)

“Mr. Cobb was supervising architect of the recently completed federal building in Chicago. The Chicago Athletic association building, the fisheries at the World’s fair, the Chicago opera house, Newberry library, the St. Charles Roman Catholic buildings, the Cook county (Ill.) Abstract building and the Ownings building, all of Chicago, are among his designs in the central west. In New York Mr. Cobb has recently completed the famous All-day and All-night bank opposite Sherry’s and Delmonico’s, and a magnificent office building above Forty-second street.

Mr. Cobb was born in Brookline, Mass. He is a graduate of the literary and scientific courses at Harvard, and received his preliminary education in architecture at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and in Europe. Later he studied in the office of an eminent Boston architect. In 1881 he designed the Union club house in Chicago, and moved from Boston to that city. He served as one of the national board of architects of the World’s Columbian exposition, and later was made supervising architect of the University of Chicago. For the past few years Mr. Cobb has resided in New York.” (11 Dec 1906 – Salt Lake Herald)

Interestingly, Cobb already had a unique family past linking him to Salt Lake City. Henry Ives Cobb's grandmother, Augusta Adams Cobb, controversially abandoned her husband, Henry Cobb, and seven of her nine children in 1843, and married Brigham Young as a plural wife. (Wikipedia entry 27 May 2009) Augusta Adams was baptized into the LDS church near Boston by Samuel H. Smith on June 29, 1832. She left in Sep 1843 for Nauvoo with Brigham Young and two of her children, leaving her husband and other children. On this trip, her youngest son, Brigham, died while her seven year old daughter, Charlotte Ives Cobb survived the trip. Three weeks later Augusta was married to Brigham Young in Nauvoo. In 1847 the divorce proceedings took place which made headlines as a polygamous/polyandrous divorce trial. Her previous husband, Henry Cobb, won custody of the children.

(Augusta Adams Cobb Young)

Another son of Augusta, James T Cobb, came to Salt Lake out of concern for his mother and sister. He ended up joining the LDS Church and remaining in Utah. Even after his eventual disaffection with the LDS Church he remained in Salt Lake City. The daughter, Charlotte, was married to John A Kirby, one of the wealthiest men of Salt Lake when she died on 24 Jan 1908. She was author of the first petition for woman's suffrage in Utah and took a leading part in winning for the women of Utah the right to vote.

So Henry Ives Cobb had his uncle James, his aunt Charlotte, and at least three of his first cousins living here in Salt Lake when he came to meet with his client, Samuel Newhouse, beginning in 1906. Additionally, his grandmother was buried here with Brigham Young. However, Henry's father, Albert, who was 13 years old when his mother left him for Nauvoo, apparently never forgave her for what she did. This would likely have influenced the feelings of his son, who would later design a significant portion of Salt Lake City. I have not been able to find if Henry and these family members were on speaking terms or had any interactions with each other during his many visits to Salt Lake, although it appears unlikely.

Architect Is Here
Henry Ives Cobb, Mr. Newhouse’s New York architect, arrived from the east last night. He was met at the depot by Mr. Newhouse and escorted to the Knutsford hotel, where he will remain during his stay in this city. Mr. Cobb is acquainting himself with the local situation today, but is doing no talking until he gets his bearings. (10 Dec 1906 - Deseret News)

Samuel Newhouse and Architect Cobb Hard at Work on Preliminary Plans.
‘It is almost too early to tell just what we are going to do,’ [Newhouse] declared. ‘We have gone over things pretty thoroughly today, getting dimensions of the property selected as sites for the proposed buildings.’

Asked if more than five new buildings would be constructed in the immediate future, Mr. Newhouse said: ‘I don’t know. We have to look pretty well into the future, and that may mean several more buildings that I at first anticipated. Mr. Cobb will remain here for some time.’

The architect himself had little to say. ‘We are just getting started,’ was his only comment on yesterday’s work. He is a quiet, unassuming man, his clean cut features and quick movements giving one the impression of ability for a tremendous amount of work in a short time. Mr. Newhouse and the architect lunched together at the former’s residence yesterday noon. Mr. Cobb is stopping at the Knutsford. (11 Dec 1906 – Salt Lake Herald)

Salt Lake is awaiting with interest the announcement of Henry Ives Cobb’s plans for the five or more office and club buildings to be erected on the half block adjacent corners at Main and Fourth South streets purchased by Samuel Newhouse. That they will be among the finest structures of their kind in the west is certain from the work Mr. Cobb has done in New York and other large American cities. He is one of the most prominent architectural engineers in this country, and it is expected his present trip to Salt Lake at Mr. Newhouse’s request will be productive of several splendid structures. (11 Dec 1906 – Salt Lake Herald)

Hotel Decided Upon.
Architect Henry Ives Cobb left last night for New York. On taking the train, Mr. Cobb said the only thing settled definitely is the 10-story hotel for the old Walker corner; and he has a mass of data from which to plan the two proposed streets through the south half of the block bounded by Main and State, Third and Fourth South streets, also the proposed office buildings, and very likely a Commercial club building. (14 Dec 1906 - Deseret News)

Plans For Eleven Big Sky Scrapers
Architect Henry Ives Cobb Brings Blueprints From New York City.
Fine Hotel For Lower Main.
Mr. Newhouse Spends Two Days Going Over the Propositions With the Eastern Expert.

After consultation all day yesterday and this morning, with Mr. Newhouse, Architect Henry Ives Cobb of New York will return east this evening, to send out an engineer to supervise the preliminary work of construction of the Newhouse and Boston blocks. The latter will be erected at the northeast corner of Main street and Exchange place, with the other building at the southeast corner, each building eleven stories high. The Newhouse will contain a bank and office rooms, and the other will be arranged for mercantile establishments and office suites.

Mr. Cobb brought with him general plans for the following proposed structures:

-Eleven-story hotel on former Walker corner, 181x165 feet.
-Eleven-story bank and office building on southeast corner of Main street and Exchange place, 80x150 feet.
-Eleven-story office building on northeast corner of Main street and Exchange place, 80x150 feet.
-Mining exchange building, probably eight stories high, 80x80 feet, on Exchange place, facing entrance to Cactus street.
-Six-story store and office building, 140x80, on Exchange place between Boston block and Mining Exchange building.
-Store and office building, eleven stories high, 80x150, northwest corner Exchange place and State street.
-Six-story store and office building, 140x80, on Exchange place between Mining Exchange building and structure at corner of State street and Exchange place.
-Eleven-story store and office building on southwest corner of Exchange place and State street – 100x100 feet.
-Six-story store and office building, 200x200 feet, at southeast corner of Exchange place and Cactus street.
-Six-story store and office building, 150x200 feet, at southwest corner of Exchange place and Cactus street.
-Power house and plant in the court of the latter structure, which will furnish light, heat and power for all ten buildings and any others Mr. Newhouse may put up later.

Cactus street is the north and south street to run through the center of the block from Fourth South street to Exchange place.

Mr. Cobb thinks the Hotel scheme will be started in three months.

It is proposed to have the lobby two stories high, furnished in bronze and marble, with restaurant, café, palm room, billiard, reading and writing rooms on the ground floor opening into the lobby. The second floor is to contain a balcony. Above is to be 50 bedrooms and 38 bathrooms on each floor, or 500 bedrooms and 380 bathrooms in all. The hotel will be ready in two years. (21 Feb 1907 - Deseret News)

New Business District now Developing
With the announcement that within a few weeks work on the handsome new Commercial club building will be begun in the Newhouse district, comes the assurance that the decision of the members of the Commercial club in deciding on this site for their building makes the future of this section of the city as a business district certain. This does not mean that upper Main street will suffer materially because of the establishing of a new business district. The probabilities are that the growth of the town will be sufficient to warrant an enlarged district.

Situated as it is, the property recently acquired and improved by Samuel Newhouse offers a strategic business value. It is located in a block that is midway between the federal and the city and county buildings, in a location that offers a regular avenue of trade and a natural business importance.

In all, there are fifteen buildings which Mr. Newhouse plans to erect on his property in the new business district as rapidly as the growth of the city warrants.
Cactus street and Exchange Place, the streets of the new district, will be sixty-six feet wide, paved and lighted. This done, Mr. Newhouse will present them to the city. Exchange Place runs through the block from Main to State streets, and is flanked on either side by valuable Newhouse property. Cactus street runs from Fourth South street to Exchange Place.

It is the intention of Mr. Newhouse to put in a street similar to Exchange Place and Cactus street, directly south of the hotel. This street will be known as Walker street. Property owners to the west plan to cut through a street directly west of the hotel. This will make the new hotel in a block by itself. (12 Apr 1908 – Salt Lake Herald)

New Business District

(12 Apr 1908 - Salt Lake Herald)

(Aerial image of Business District - Google Maps 2009)

The Hotel was built, but later demolished. Now the entire hotel block is surface parking. The two eleven-story office buildings were built and are still standing. They are the Boston and Newhouse buildings. The Mining Exchange building was built and is still standing. The power house and plant was built and is still standing. The Commercial Club was built and is still standing, although Cobb lost out to a local firm on the design that was built. The Exchange buildings were never built. As best as I can tell, none of the stores, extension building, or theater were ever built.

Many of these buildings will receive future posts.

“Over-extension ultimately proved to be Newhouse's financial downfall. Money from his mines failed to finance his elaborate projects, and there was addition strain caused by World War I (WWI). It became very difficult to obtain loans from eastern U.S. and European sources. Samuel and Ida separated in 1914. The South Temple mansion was sold. From 1915-1919, Samuel resided at the Newhouse Hotel. He then sold his interest in the hotel and left for France, where he lived with his sister her chateau, outside Paris, which he had given to her. He died there, at the age of seventy-six, on 22 September 1930.” (Biography at University of Utah Marriott Library Special Collections)